Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Trader Joe's Dark Sumatra Coffee

Some people go sightseeing on vacation; I go grocery shopping.

One of the many reasons Colorado is a culinary wasteland is that we don't have Trader Joe's. I don't know why. Probably because CO has archaic liquor laws that don't allow grocery stores to stock anything but 3.2 beer and don't allow liquor sales on Sunday (like we can't stock up on Saturday night. Idjits.).

But California does. And I was in California recently. I left with a suitcase that was half empty and returned with a suitcase that was near the airline's weight limit. A great deal of that was food and drink.

Being low on coffee, I bought some of Trader Joe's Dark Sumatra. I love Sumatra coffees - I love the smoothness and the earthiness and the low acidity. I don't like that acid bite in a lot of lighter and South American coffees.

This stuff will put hair on your chest. It's an espresso roast, the beans are dark and oily. The taste is fairly smooth though, with an interesting burned/charred taste at the end of each sip that appears on the back of the tongue. I'm enjoying the flavors now, but I can see where by the end of the bag I'm probably going to be tired of it. There's also a deep earthiness, a groundedness (pardon the pun) that is soothing and comforting. I should be writing marketing copy instead of a coffee review.

It also packs a nice jolt of caffeine, something I appreciate more and more as I get older.

I'm not sure I'd buy this again as a general morning coffee, but it's certainly worth drinking and I will enjoy finishing the bag.

Ok, so I waxed rhapsodic about Trader Joe's a couple posts ago. Bear with me. I miss them. And they don't do mail order.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

I got a chance to try this coffee a couple of weeks ago. We picked it up at the Santa Fe, NM Trader Joe's. It was excellent.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home